No matter what industry you work in or your level of expertise, there are some abilities that every employer wants. These are called ‘transferable skills’ and can be the difference between you winning the job offer and getting passed over for your dream opportunity. These include skills such as:
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Organization and time management
- Leadership abilities
- Written and verbal skills
- Research and analytical skills
So why are these skills so important to companies and what can you do to uncover yours?
Why Transferable Skills Are Important
Transferable skills are important because they send the message that you’re adaptable and professional. They tell an employer that you have growth potential and can take on many different tasks and become successful in them with the right training and support. As a result, your current employer and future ones, too, will see you as an investment that’s worth making. They know that technical skills can be acquired, but transferable ones are often more innate, making you more marketable in your job search and in your career.
How to Uncover Your Transferable Skills
Before you launch a job search or try to get promoted, it’s important to determine your transferable skills. To do that, make sure you:
- Brainstorm. Think through the different tasks, experiences, and responsibilities you have on a daily basis and write down the skills that have enabled you to perform successfully in this role. Beyond your job, think too about any volunteer opportunities where you’ve gained or put to use these skills.
- Identify. Once you have a list going, review it and identify those that appear over and over again. These are your strengths and the skills that you should likely grow and develop both in your job now, as well as down the line, in future opportunities.
- Test. If you’re having trouble identifying your transferable skills, there are many online tests that can help you with the task. These will give you more insight into what specific skills you have that can help set you apart in your field of work.
Ready to put your transferable skills to use in a new job in Kansas City?
Call the experts at Morgan Hunter. As experienced headhunters in the Kansas City Metro area, we can provide the personalized attention you need and deserve to match you with positions you’re most qualified for; ones that will help you take your career to new heights.