Here’s the awful truth: maintaining a healthy work-life balance is easier said than done. Outside of deadlines is a growing list of responsibilities at home: the laundry, the groceries, the yard, and oh yes, for so many of us—the kids! It can be challenging to give quality time to both work and your personal life, especially in the summer months when you’re on the move. But it’s not impossible to better your balance and spend that extra time making memories in the warmer months. Let’s discuss some useful tips on how to achieve work-life stability.
Plan It: Vacation
Spending time with loved ones is essential to reconnect and strengthen bonds. Don’t hesitate to take some time to plan a vacation and spend quality time outside of work. If you need to work during the vacation, plan it out beforehand. Here are some tips to have a successful vacation while still maintaining your workload:
- Consider your schedule in advance: Start by taking a good look at your calendar and identifying any deadlines or important meetings that may fall during your time away. Once you’ve mapped out your work commitments, it’s time to delegate tasks and inform colleagues, ensuring that everyone is on the same page.
- Take shorter, more frequent trips: Shake up your work schedule and inject some fun into it. Why not plan shorter, more frequent trips to break up the monotony? Take a long weekend to explore a new city or hike a nearby trail. By planning mini-escapes, you’ll have something to look forward to.
- Negotiate what you need: Negotiating your vacation dates with your employer is an important step in achieving a successful work-life balance. First, be clear about your vacation plans and communicate them effectively. Then provide a clear outline of your work responsibilities and how they will be addressed in your absence. Don’t let your future new job get in the way of quality time with loved ones – work with a recruiter to make sure you have enough vacation days to make those important memories.
Consider It: Hybrid Work
One of the most significant shifts in the workforce is the rise of hybrid work. Giving employees the option to work from the office and at home provides flexibility to maintain balance between career and home. When negotiating for hybrid work situations, establish clear guidelines on when you will be working from which location and when you will be available. Ultimately, finding a balance between work and your personal life is about creating a routine that works for your personal needs. An expert recruiter can do this for you!
Plan It: Childcare
For working parents, finding the right childcare can be a daunting task. There are many options, whether it’s preschool, daycare or a summer camp, but not all of them may suit your family’s needs. To find a solution that works for you, consider these tips:
- Start planning early: Many summer camps and daycare centers fill up quickly, so it’s important to make reservations as soon as you can. Early planning also allows you to weigh your options and compare prices before making a decision.
- Seek recommendations: One of the best ways to find reliable summer childcare providers is to ask for advice from other parents. Check online forums, social media groups and parenting blogs for reviews. Word-of-mouth recommendations are often the most reliable because they come from firsthand experience.
- Keep safety in mind: The pandemic has made safety a top priority when it comes to selecting childcare. Ask providers about their safety measures and sanitation protocols for when a child gets sick.
- Negotiate what you need: One way to achieve peace-of-mind is to talk to your employer about flexible work hours or work-from-home options. By working with a recruiter upfront in your job search, you can make sure you are tending to your kids needs while balancing a productive work life.
Consider It: Time-Saving Solutions
Summer often means a change in routine. With longer days and the desire to make the most of the sunshine, it can be easy to let work take a backseat, resulting in a sense of unproductivity and stress. Here are some quick solutions to achieve the balance you need:
- Prioritize: Create a to-do list and prioritize your work by putting the most crucial tasks at the top of the list. This will help you focus on what’s most important and ensure that you complete the most pressing tasks first.
- Automate repetitive tasks: Consider automating repetitive tasks, such as sending routine emails, posting on social media, or scheduling appointments.
- Set boundaries: Whether it’s working in the office, hybrid or from home, set clear boundaries to prevent work from dominating your personal life.
Seeking Balance? Let Us Help!
Achieving work-life balance can be challenging, but it’s essential for your mental and physical wellbeing. Negotiating for the balance you need in a future work opportunity requires planning, communication and flexibility. Remember, Morgan Hunter helps professionals negotiate work-life balance by:
- Understanding the candidate’s needs: Recruiters can ask questions about the candidate’s personal life, interests and outside commitments to determine what kind of work schedule and flexibility they need.
- Advocating for flexibility: Recruiters can advocate for flexible work arrangements like remote work or flexible schedules to help candidates achieve a better work-life balance.
- Sharing company culture: If work-life balance is a priority, recruiters can help you uncover how a company you’re considering supports employees in achieving it, such as offering wellness programs or family-friendly policies.
- Negotiating on behalf of the candidate: When a job offer is made, recruiters can help negotiate the terms of employment to ensure that the candidate’s work-life balance needs are met. This could involve negotiating flexible working arrangements or a more stabilized workload.
- Encouraging open communication: Recruiters can encourage open communication between the candidate and the employer about their work-life balance needs.
Are you ready to achieve work-life balance and live the life you deserve? Contact us today to discuss your future!